Tradition | Excellence | Opportunity
Founded in 1856.
The Grey Vision
Grey remains as one of the leading schools in the country, with a culture and value system that support its fine heritage. Grey is recognised for its competitiveness and excellence in academic, sporting and cultural activities, as well as for its ability to consistently produce leaders.
MIC & COACH
Mrs. Suzie du Plessis
STUDENT MOUNTAIN BIKE COMMITTEE
CHAIRPERSON: Bradley Bosman
VICE CHAIRPERSON:Drake Loubser
MEMBERS:Justin Dames, Cade Hoffmann, Jaryd Loenen
- MTB was initiated in 2017 on the arrival of Mrs. Suzie du Plessis to the Grey Staff. An enthusiastic mountain biker, Mrs. Suzie du Plessis was approached by Grey boys who suggested Grey puts together a social mountain biking group.
- Social riders were arranged on Friday afternoons and some of the riders participated in the EC Spur interschool league.
- 2018 Grey MTB had grown in numbers as a social group and was officially recognized as a CULTURAL ACTIVITY. A Grey Cycling shirt was manufactured which is available for both Grey High and Junior school riders. Our team participated on mass in the annual SPUR SCHOOLS MOUNTAIN BIKE LEAGUE. As a result of our boys commitment and dedication Grey were crowned the overall winners of the EC spur series. 7 boys were chosen to represent Grey / EC Mountain biking at the NATIONAL SPUR MOUNTAIN BIK LEAGUE COMPETITION in Magaliesburg.
- In 2019, with continued growth, Grey MTB was moved from being recognized as a Cultural activity to a SPORT offered in Term 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- In our short time we have grown from approximately 10 riders to over 40 enthusiastic mountain bikers at present.
- As an official sport, the riders now have the opportunity to earn school colours.
- In 2019 we received a sponsorship from ACTION CYCLES. Sponsorship included full cycling kit for our First team riders, mechanical support, training courses, etc.
- In 2019 Grey High mountain bikers membership for the PEGC trails was sponsored by Brandon Els (Chairman of Rush sports). This has allowed us access to the wonderful trails which is a great track for time trials, training etc.
- In 2018 Mill Park Conservancy cleaned up the valley at the back of the school and developed a technical track of approximately 3,5km. Grey riders have been given full access to this track for training and derby fixtures.
Mountain biking is very much a family sport. For this reason we encourage parents to become involved in their sons mountain biking as much as possible in terms of support at events, transport to events, hosting at derbys etc. In light of this Grey Mountain biking has grown not only as a student sport but many of our parents join the social riders on their bikes and to date two family weekends have taken place. Much of what we have done in the last 2 ½ years is due to the commitment of the MIC, Parents and boys
Due to COVID and changes in the academic programme the training schedules are subject to change.
Training schedule will be updated via whatsapp groups and MTB notice board.
At present Grey has MTB derby fixtures with Paul Roos, Wynberg, Grey Bloem. Teams are chosen based on strength and commitment.
MOUNTAIN EVENTS INTER-SCHOOL FIXTURES
Mountain Events have nominated a number of their local events as Inter-school fixtures. A point system has been allocated to this event which allows Grey to compete against all other schools in the region at a public event that can at times attract up to 500 or more riders.
SPUR MOUNTAIN BIKE LEAGUE
Hosted by EC cycling this national event is a school dedicated series. All our riders are expected to participate in their respective age groups. Dates can be found on the spur website and Grey calendar. The winning school in the EC series will represent EC at the National event in Brits in October. Individuals can also achieve Eastern Cape colours and represent the province at the event.
CYCLING DRESS CODE
Applicable when riding in any event in which a rider represents the school
- Official Grey cycling shirt (available from school shop)
- Official Grey cycling bib shorts (available from Action cycles)
- Action cycles socks
- FIRST TEAM ONLY: The official Action cycles sponsored kit.
- No other sponsored clothing / accessories are permitted
- NO HELMET, NO RIDE
- Safety comes first
- Unless no other option, boys ride on pavements or off the tar roads.
- Ride in single file when in public areas
- No riding around the school campus. When leaving for a ride from school, everyone rides in single file, stops at all intersections, gives way to pedestrians and vehicles.
- No allowing NON-mountain bikers to ride your bikes at school
- At all events GREY cycling kit must be worn.
- Safety of your bike is your own responsibility during the day and on the ride.
- All riders must have a repair kit i.e. bombs etc on every ride